Bishop says bleeding Host not miracle, but fungi


A consecrated Host did not bleed, but instead grew bacteria and fungus after being left in a jar of water for four weeks
Friday, March 24, 2006
by Spero News See all articles by this author

A consecrated Host did not bleed, but instead grew bacteria and fungus after being left in a jar of water for four weeks, effectively quashing speculation of a supernatural occurrence, according to the newspaper of the Catholic Diocese of Dallas. 

As has been reported extensively in the press, around one month ago a young boy received communion, and then got sick, and spit out the Host, which was placed in a jar of water to dissolve -and it would appear was forgotten about until March 19. At that time, the Host appeared as if it were coagulating.

Word quickly spread that a miracle had happened, but not so, said Dallas Bishop Charles Grahmann.

Catholic Diocese of Dallas newspaper Texas Catholic online ( is reporting that Bishop Charles Grahmann sent a March 23 letter to the pastor of the St James Church saying that after an examination and laboratory tests, there was no doubt - the effect was natural, not supernatural.

"At my request the object you submitted to me, around which there was heightened publicity, was presented to Dr. Marcy Brown Marsden, chairman and associate professor of biology, University of Dallas, and Dr. Frank Doe of the same department, for tentative identification and characterization of the object," writes Bishop Grahmann in his letter, according to Texas Catholic.

Bishop Grahmann said the conclusion was "that the object is a combination of fungal mycelia and bacterial colonies that have been incubated within the aquatic environment of the glass during the four-week period in which it was stored in the open air."

Bishop Grahmann was explicit in that no miracle was involved.

"The phenomenon was of the natural order and contains nothing of a supernatural nature. Thus, you need to remove yourself from any further activity surrounding this matter and its exaggerated claims," the bishop wrote.

The Texas Catholic reported that "there have been other cases in past years when a host received fungal and/or bacteria contamination when it was not properly consumed and/or disposed," as well as noting that "Church officials said the matter is now closed and called on faithful to end any further speculation."